Wednesday 30 September 2009

Bakau Market

This morning Paul let me loose cutting his hair with the clippers, we placed a chair outside and I started cutting changing the grades as I went along, the occasional laugh was making Paul quite nervous. The finished result was quite good for my first attempt so I am sure it will be a regular job for me, Bradley next.

We then went to Bakau Market to buy some fish and have a look around. The market was bigger than we thought with lots of little stalls selling spices, lentils and rice by the bag which were weighed by using a 400g can, also the usual material and tailor shops on site. We walked passed the fruit and vegetable stalls then passed the head and legs of a cow and the butcher burning the skin and scraping it to remove the fat I presume to make leather. We finally arrived at the fish market with the day’s catch of Prawns, Bongo Fish which is a small bony fish and large Lady Fish set out on the tables as well as quite a few flies buzzing around. We picked out a Lady Fish from the bottom of the pile and paid 100 dalasi, which we later found out, was far too expensive. The man set about cleaning it for us the scales were removed along with the insides and finally he took off the head which we latter noticed had been put back in the bag. On arriving home Paul had a go and filleting it so we had two good size fillets and then a few smaller pieces not bad for a first attempt.

On picking the children up Abigail greeted us with a big smile as she had been given her new uniform all engraved with her name so she was very pleased. We continued on to the craft market to pick up my skirt also taking my white skirt as I had asked Fatou to tie dye it, we sorted out a price and then sat with Midnight the lifeguard and watched a pirogue go out to sea drop its nets then come back in and pull the nets in. On arriving home I made a batter and we had fish and chips which were very tasty, the Lady Fish was very meaty very much like Cod back home
.

No comments:

Post a Comment