Wednesday 9 December 2009

Ecole Diana Mariam School

After picking up the children today from school I quickly showered and changed as I have a meeting with the Head Teacher of the Diana Mariam primary school, Awa was happy to watch the children for an hour. I had heard that they were looking for assistance with the English language so last Tuesday I called in to take a look around the school. I was shown around by the Deputy Head who seemed very nice and I was very impressed as they seem to have a lot of resources. In the yard area was a large trampoline and primary coloured picnic tables with parasols. The reception classrooms were displayed with posters on the walls and a number of toys and learning aids, the children were busy sat watching a French DVD on the television when I was looking around. The primary area was a little less colourful and the classes were much smaller in size, I was surprised to be shown into an ICT suite with five computers. As we went from classroom to classroom I was introduced to the teachers who all seemed pleasant. They currently only have children up to grade three as they are adding another grade on each year. They are a bilingual school teaching French so the children when in class automatically switch to speaking that language.

The Head Teacher Mary Samba is a lawyer so the school is run by the deputy in her absence. When I arrived I had to sit and wait in reception as Mary had phoned to say she would be late. After a ten minute wait I was introduced to Mary and we chatted about what she was looking for. She wasn’t concerned with the fact that I was not a qualified teacher she just wanted the children to have interaction with the English language through reading, writing, phonics etc. I did explain to her the issue of the children and their hours of schooling at Zenith, she was quite happy for me just to work mornings assisting the teachers. I have agreed to start this Monday so I am quite looking forward to the experience of working with the teachers and especially looking forward to helping the children.




No comments:

Post a Comment