Friday 21 May 2010

Much Loved Brother In Law & Uncle

It’s been a very sad week this week as my brother in law Peter passed away on Tuesday after a year long battle against cancer. One consolation is that he died peacefully and he was at home with Lynne and the girls as he had wished. I know Abigail and Bradley’s will remember him as he was before we left the UK, having not seen him when he was poorly. I think they are still too young to understand but I’m sure they will miss his playful antics. Only last week Abigail made me laugh when she asked how does Uncle Peter make money come out of our ears. They did enjoy the games he used to play with them. I remember the way he would get them screaming which annoyed me and Lynne because we couldn’t hear ourselves talk. And just before I was due to leave for home he would wind them up so they were all excited for the rest of the evening. We had some laughs especially when he had to change Bradley’s nappy as Lynne was out he ended up with pooh up his arms. Peter and pooh just didn’t go together and he would be balking at the smell.

He was a great brother in law and such a big help to me running the kids to and from school it made my work life so much easier. I remember his sense of humour especially when he would be winding one of us up, which was so easy when it was mum. I know if dad had still been here he would be very sad as they got on so well other than the time when they fell out for a week. I know it drove dad crackers as he enjoyed his chats with Peter so they soon made up.

I only hope he enjoyed the many photos we posted of the children and our adventures here in the Gambia, especially those of birds as he was a keen bird lover even resorting to building an aviary in his garden. I think my sister just had to accept his unusual animal phases, lizards, snakes, owls, to name just a few. He loved his garden and would spend many hours potting seeds in his greenhouse ready to re plant. Usually overdoing it so the hanging baskets would be bursting with colour and we would all end up getting a share of what was left over. The garden seemed to attract the wildlife, frogs in the pond which would spawn every year so Paul would call with bucket in hand for a supply. Blue tits nesting in the trees and at one point a pigeon even adopted Peter and as much as he tried it just wouldn’t go away. I know he will be sadly missed by family, friends and especially by Lynne.


No comments:

Post a Comment