Friday 19 November 2010

Weekending, 30th October 2010

On the Wednesday afternoon we walked to Bakau via the beach. The tide was a bit further in than usual so we had to clamber over large boulders and try to outrun the incoming tide into the next cove. As we reached the fish market we were surprised at how little we were bothered by the locals, usually we will have guys asking if we want to buy fish but not this time. We continued on to the market and bought some groundnuts and vegetables before getting into a gelleh for home.

The children have now broken up for a week as for myself I will still be working as the school have decided to add holidays onto the Tobaski celebrations this will enable those who wish to travel to see family more time to do so. However this also means we will have to juggle the children between us. On Thursday Paul dropped the children off at Diana Mariam on his way to college. The school were due to go swimming at Sheriffs house so I made sure I packed Abigail and Bradley’s swimming costumes. The boys were picked up first by the minibus then at around midday they returned so the girls in year 2, 3 and 4 could go. Madame Senghore was already at the pool so me and Rosemary assisted getting the girls into the minibus some of which had to sit on each others knees. With all the girls in Rosemary climbed into the front of the minibus and shut the door as she did so I let out a cry as my finger was trapped in the door. She quickly opened the door, I had a small cut to my little finger and it was already starting to show signs of swelling and bruising luckily I didn’t think it was broken as I could still move it. We arrived at Sheriffs and all the girls quickly changed and got into the pool. Rosemary, Abigail, Bradley and myself then changed and joined them. It is a bit of a joke as no one shows them how to swim whilst there they just tend to play around. I tried to show some of the girls how to swim however with about twenty girls in a small space it was not easy. Also it doesn’t help when Fatcilla who is quite a large year 4 girl jumps in and ends up ducking the smaller girls. I decided I had had enough so got out to get changed, Abigail and Bradley then decided to get out followed by Rosemary. The rest of the girls were asked to get changed and we were back at the school by 1.30pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment