Sunday 17 April 2011

On Monday Paul went off up country to do teacher observations in Soma. Bradley was still unwell and didn’t seem to have picked up after his medication so after dropping Abigail off at school I took him back to Africmed. The doctor decided to keep him in for observation over night this was a bit of a problem due to Paul being up country. Eventually I managed to track Lucy down who was staying in the Kombo all week as VSO had a two day workshop which volunteers were attending. She agreed to pick Abigail up from school and stay with her overnight. Abigail enjoyed herself as Lucy took her to Safari Garden on the afternoon for a swim and then she went out for pizza with Sam and Elle on the evening. As for us we were shown into a room where the nurse gave Bradley a quinine injection in his leg and penicillin via an IV line. Most of the day Bradley slept, I managed to get him to eat a little bit of a banana but other than drinking water he didn’t want anything. Every four hours he was given either the penicillin or quinine injections which were very painful for him. I had a very tiring night either sat in a chair with a blanket wrapped around me trying to sleep or laid next to Bradley on the bed. On the Tuesday the doctor gave him the all clear to go home as his temperature had come down and he seemed much better. On arriving home I made Lucy a cup of tea and we chatted for a while before she left for the VSO office. By midday Bradley was again tired and his temperature was high again he spent most of the afternoon sleeping, I even managed to get a couple of hours sleep myself. Lynn offered to cook dinner for us which was a lovely chicken and vegetable stew however Bradley just picked at it he has definitely lost some weight. On the night Bradley slept with me again he had a very restless night with dreams and high temperature. I gave him his medication and he seemed to pick up so we managed to do some of his world jigsaw but just before midday he was tired and fell a sleep again for a couple of hours. I decided to make a soup to see if I could get him to eat he thoroughly enjoyed it as well as a yogurt. By Thursday he was back to normal although weak and a little tired. Paul arrived home from his up country trek at 5 o’clock just in time for a fish and chip dinner followed by donkey plonk (cherry roll).

No comments:

Post a Comment