Wednesday 23 September 2009

Sand Castles

This morning Paul wanted to spend some quiet time on his college work, so I set about making a picnic lunch for us to take down to the beach. All packed up we set off and bumped into Felix who works for Jerry and Morris at Safari Garden, he had been taking Ruby to the vets as she wasn’t very well. He asked Abigail and Bradley if they wanted to see a tortoise, so we entered Jerry’s garden me expecting a small house tortoise, so it was quite a shock to see a giant tortoise that was thirty two years old.

We continued our walk to the beach and picked a sun lounger with thatched umbrella, it was a little cloudy at the time with the possibility of rain. Adam from the craft market appeared and started helping Abigail and Bradley build sand castles they then set off looking for shells to decorate all twenty one of them. Whilst I had one of the woman from the craft market trying to sell me things I did mention to her that Paul was thinking of a traditional shirt as we had been invited to Ebrima’s for Eid celebrations on either Sunday or Monday, she said she would come back later.


Adam helping to build Sand Castles
Paul arrived at about 2.00pm and true to form the woman from the craft market appeared with various lengths of material draped over her arm. We chose two pieces of material a blue leaf print for a traditional shirt and a blue, green and orange mandinka village scene print for a western shirt. Paul went off to be measured whilst I had Fatou who Jenny had bought Abigail’s dress from trying to sell me material to make a dress. I decided that we should all dress up for the occasion so I picked some material for myself to make a skirt and top in the local design and a blue baby elephant print for Bradley’s traditional shirt. We were measured up and told they would be ready by 5.00pm tomorrow.

We also bought from a beach trader who we often talk to as he walks up and down the beach selling to the tourists a couple of leather tasselled mandinka spears which we had took a fancy to, he said he would make us the original ones rather than those for the tourists so we can pick them up tomorrow with our costumes. And to top it off Paul bought a chief chair he had taken a like to and a pestle and mortar for me from Adam, so we felt we had helped towards their Eid celebrations as it is very hard for the locals at this time as during the month not much money is being spent. All spent up we set of home as the sun was now very hot and I could feel my arms burning and I was concerned about Abigail and Bradley burning.

No comments:

Post a Comment