Tuesday 27 October 2009

This morning the plan is to get some shopping from Kariba Centre as we are out of quite a few things, first I had to call at the bank to get some money. We have been trying to stick to a budget of 1500d a week however this has already been increased from 1000d a week. We have found that living in The Gambia is not cheap so we are substituting some of our savings from England as Paul’s volunteer allowance does not stretch far enough. This has meant that items such as ice-cream, chocolate and crisps will be a rare luxury for Abigail and Bradley.

I flagged down a five, five taxi and jumped in with a couple of other people, myself ending up sitting in the middle. The elderly lady then started a conversation with me in Wolof fortunately I managed to answer her back with the usual greetings. She was very pleased and laughed welcoming me to The Gambia, this seems the norm here if you show you are trying to speak the language they are very friendly towards you. I was dropped off outside Right Choice and Kariba Centre, calling in both stores to get all the items which I needed. Just about spent up and waited down with bags I jumped in a Gelleh Gelleh for my return trip home calling for bread and fruit and veg on the way.

On arriving home Awa was busy mopping the floors with Louise straddling her back in a sling. Awa was telling me about her malaria and that she hasn’t had it for three years until last week and how ill she felt. I packed away the shopping and went to pick up Bradley first calling to get some mince from the butchers as I had promised Abigail and Bradley some beef burgers for dinner only to find they didn’t have any left. I quickly called at Safeway and they had no meat on display due to a fridge breakdown so I will have to try again tomorrow.

Bradley and Abigail were happy playing with Louise who is now pulling herself up around the furniture and has managed to climb up onto the settee. Awa is looking forward to the day when she starts to walk so she won’t have to carry her around on her back.

No comments:

Post a Comment