Friday 29 January 2010

Jolly Phonics

This week has been another busy week, on Monday Cathy was back at the school teaching the final part of Jolly Phonics to myself and the teachers. We spent the first couple of hours finishing off our resources before revisiting the previous letter sounds taught and then moving on to the final set of letter sounds. We also covered the teaching of the tricky words which are unable to sound or blend to make a word. We finally finished at around 2 o’clock so before leaving to pick up the children I quickly checked that Adja had photocopied the workbooks which I will need tomorrow to start my training of the Phonics to year 1 children.

Friday and I have completed teaching letter sounds s and a to the children in year 1 which they have thoroughly enjoyed especially the Jolly Phonic songs which they are even singing to me in the playground. The lessons ran smoothly partly due to the preparation before hand and the children being very receptive to learning the sounds, songs and actions which accompany the Phonics. Mr Jadama supported me within the class helping the children with their letter formation however he was a little shy when it came to singing the songs and was happy for me to take the lead in this. The children were pleased when they could see their work displayed on the wall as I have set up an area in the classroom just for the Jolly Phonics. Overall this week has been very enjoyable and I am looking forward to teaching next weeks letter sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment